This year was our first All Saint's Day Celebration!
It was really fun to look thru all the saints and have the kids choose one.
It was pretty funny, too. William only wanted to dress up as a saint who donned a weapon.
He originally wanted to be the archangel Michael, but changed his mind at the last minute because he didn't want to wear wings.
So, we went with the ultra manly Saint George, the dragon slaying saint... with a homemade spear. The only thing we had to make for his costume, since this gladiator costume worked perfectly!
I hate to see that magic draining out of him... kids grow up so fast. :(
Ella poured thru tons of images of saints, having me name them all, look at the photos, researched what patron saint they were.... all to choose which one was wearing the prettiest outfit. All the while, I was desperately trying to talk her into being the newest Catholic saint, St. Kateri Tekakwitha. And I finally won out! woo hooo! She took so long choosing, that the day before the celebration, I finally said, "Ella you have to choose one" and she said, "okay, I'll just be the indian!". yay.
I love how her costume turned out. It was really fun to make!
I used Simplicity pattern 5448 for the costume. It was super easy to make and I only have two complaints. The first is the way it's cut out. That whole costume is one piece, which makes it easy for seaming, but MAN! it eats up a lot of fabric! I bought 60" inch wide, so I bought less and ended up having to seam the bottom. No big deal, but it's a good thing to know if you're shopping for fabric.
My second complaint is the opening on the back.... I just hate the way that looks. Given more time, I would have figured out something else... but as it was, I was finishing this up last minute. Hence the safety pins on the back. The collar was meant to be attached with snaps.
I got all the trims at Hobby Lobby. The woven ribbon that was supposed to be used was too expensive for our budget. Even half off, I couldn't justify spending that much on a costume, so I bought an aztec-y fabric print and cut it into strips to make my own trim. I seamed it and ran it thru the bias tape maker to save time! Easy peasy!
I also chose to only do the trimming on the front of the costume and not the back, saving time and money!
Lucy was dead set on being Saint Lucy up until the night before the celebration and then for some reason, changed her mind and decided to be the Mother Mary.
And what a sweet, precious Mary, she was. I wish so bad my Granny could have seen her.
She wrapped that baby up in swaddling clothes (leftover muslin from the costume) and carried him around all day.
She and Ella even wore their costumes to mass that morning. The older parishioners really loved it. Especially Lucy... she was just so dang cute!
The costume was made with leftover muslin from my sister's wedding tablecloths and Simplicity pattern 2976. It was super, super easy to make and the sizing was right on. The trim I've had in my stash for years and Mom had in her stash for years before me. I had to search high and low for it, but I knew I had it somewhere and that it would be perfect... and it was!
The headpiece is actually just two big squares of fabric folded into triangles and attached at the back of the head with large diaper pins. The pattern envelope looks like more than that, but it's not, so I just serged the edges of the fabrics. Super simple... and definitely Lucy's favorite part of the costume.
My little, sassy Mary, sweet Kateri, and manly George.
Happy All Saint's Day!